May 15 to June 15 is Tourette Syndrome Awareness Month
Somerville, NJ, May 21, 2012 –(PR.com)– The New Jersey Center for Tourette Syndrome & Associated Disorders (NJCTS), on behalf of the tens of thousands of New Jerseyans and the hundreds of thousands of Americans living with TS, is proud to announce that once again, May 15 to June 15 is Tourette Syndrome Awareness Month.
As part of the celebration for the month, NJCTS also is proud to state that for the 12th straight year, the Governor’s Office of New Jersey — led by Gov. Chris Christie — has issued a proclamation formally declaring May 15 to June 15 as Tourette Syndrome Awareness Month.
Tourette Syndrome is a misdiagnosed, misunderstood neurological disorder that affects 1 in 100 people, especially teenagers. Marked by involuntary body movements and vocal sounds called tics, Tourette Syndrome affects more than 200,000 American families. Also affecting those families are the many associated conditions such as OCD, ADD, ADHD and anxiety.
It is very easy to show support for those who have Tourette Syndrome. Here are some simple ways from the New Jersey Center for Tourette Syndrome:
– Log onto the TSParentsOnline blog at http://www.njcts.org/tsparents or the Teens4TS blog at http://www.njcts.org/teens4ts and leave a comment for the legion of contributors. They would love to talk even more about Tourette Syndrome.
– Sign up to join the blogs and share a personalTourette Syndrome story with the world. Send an e-mail to either email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org and ask to be a blog contributor.
– Explore the NJCTS website at http://www.njcts.org and check out the myriad programs and services offered for those with TS — not just in New Jersey, but around the United States and world, too.
– Go to POPVOX and check out the pending TS legislations – H.R. 3760 and S. 2321 – and leave a comment, which will be sent directly to the appropriate U.S. Congressman. H.R. 3760 can be found at http://www.popvox.com/bills/us/112/hr3760, and S. 2321 can be found at http://www.popvox.com/bills/us/112/s2321.
– Head to the Definite Possibilities website, started by a teen with TS, and buy a Tourette Syndrome pin for just $6. That address is http://www.definitepossibilities.com.
– Go to the NJCTS Facebook page at http://www.facebook.com/TouretteSyndrome and give the page a "like," or visit the NJCTS Twitter page at http://twitter.com/NJCTS and "follow" NJCTS.
New Jersey Center for Tourette Syndrome
Contact via Email
Click here to read the full story: May 15 to June 15 is Tourette Syndrome Awareness Month